Transcript Requirement Policy


Applicants and students are required to submit official transcripts from all previous colleges and universities attended in accordance with accreditation standards of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). Any separation from the university that led a student to take coursework at another institution must be documented on an official transcript where coursework was taken. Students who take coursework concurrently at another institution must also provide official transcripts as courses are being completed. Students bear the responsibility for providing these transcripts.


The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) calls for all institutions to assume responsibility for the academic quality of any coursework considered or transferred as part of the admissions process, especially as it pertains to credit for transfer coursework, experiential learning, and advanced placement, among other functions. This is done by evaluating all transcripts from institutions previously attended and maintaining a complete academic record. See SACSCOC Principle of Accreditation 3.4.4 for additional information. Official transcripts from previous institutions are also required to comply with Texas legislation including the Six-Drop Limit (Under Section 51.907 of the Texas Education Code) and Excess Hours limits (under Texas Education Code §54.068 and §61.0595, as well as Texas Administrative Code Chapter 13, Subchapter F, §13.102 through §13.108). Also see the Excess Hours Policy for more information.



For the purposes of this policy, an applicant is an individual seeking admission to a program at the Health Science Center who has not been admitted.

Census Date

The Census Date is determined in accordance with rules set forth by The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, including the length of the term in weeks. It is the date by which all registration must be finalized, and tuition and fees paid.


These are placed on students’ electronic academic records in the student information system. They prohibit enrollment transactions including but not limited to adding courses. Holds are managed by various departments for purposes of collecting critical information at the time of matriculation. Designated personnel in the department responsible for the hold may be the only ones to release a hold.


This is the process by which applicants offered admission to a program become students. It includes processes from the point of accepting an offer of admission, to providing documentation required by various institution offices, to official registration and verification of enrollment after Census Date.

Official Transcript

This is a transcript that reaches The Office of the University Registrar in a sealed envelope from the issuing institution, and the enclosed transcript must be printed on the institution’s official transcript paper and bear the institution’s seal and signature from the registrar or another authorized individual designated by the institution’s executive leadership.

Final Transcript

A final transcript reflects all coursework taken at an institution with all courses graded. If a degree was awarded at that institution, the degree is posted.


For the purposes of this policy, a student is an individual who has been admitted to a program at Health Science Center facing matriculation requirements including submission of final, official transcripts.


Transcripts from United States Institutions

  • An official transcript is one that has been officially issued by an institution and received at the Health Science Center in an envelope sealed by the issuing institution. The transcript will contain the official school seal or stamp and the signature of the Registrar.

  • Students are required to submit official transcripts from each college or university previously attended or currently attending, regardless of degree sought. Transfer credits indicated on another school’s transcript are not accepted in lieu of submitting the original institution record for that coursework. Copies or other versions available through third-party records or websites are also unacceptable.

  • If the issuing institution will not release an official transcript to the student, the student should request that it be sent directly to the Office of the University Registrar at the Health Science Center.

Transcripts from Institutions Outside the United States

An international educational record will be considered complete and official if:

  • Each document is an original or a copy that is issued and certified by the university or college. It must contain the original stamp or seal of the institution and the original signature of the appropriate school authority.

  • It is a comprehensive record of all study completed, detailing courses studied and the grades (marks) received, in the form of a transcript or yearly grade (mark) sheets.

  • It includes all degree/diploma certificates conferred. If the degree is not posted on the transcripts, a separate degree certificate must indicate the type of degree awarded and the date of award. Verification of graduation is required.

  • Each document must be submitted in the original language and must be accompanied by a NACES Members evaluation agency English translation.

  • Copies of original documents must be certified by the appropriate authority of the issuing university or college. Each page of the copy must contain the original signature and title of the school authority, the date of issuance, and the institutions original stamp or seal.

  • Individuals whose foreign university issues only one set of official documents must consult with their respective academic departments directly for alternate methods of submission.

Please be advised that all materials submitted in support of an application become the property of the Health Science Center and will not be returned to the applicant or forwarded to other schools or agencies. Additionally, transcripts will not be copied for applicants or students. For "one of a kind" and difficult to replace documents, we suggest that applicants have the issuing institution(s) certify copies for submission for the application process. This will allow applicants in particular to keep original documents. However, official transcripts will still be required in the event of admission for those incoming students who submitted certified copies of transcripts as part of the application process.

Applicants and students with coursework from foreign institutions where original documents cannot be produced or reproduced must contact the Office of the University Registrar directly. The Office of the University Registrar will verify transcript issuing constraints at those institutions in those countries in order to offer alternatives to this requirement, including acceptance of notarized copies in lieu of official transcripts. Only applicants and students making formal arrangements with the Office of the University Registrar may exercise this option.